Wednesday 4 July 2012

Thick skin - key to learning a language


"I don't care if I'm right or wrong.  I just speak out.  Somebody will come and correct me."  This was the very good advice one of my Khmer Customer Service students gave me on learning a new language.  In her few years working at the Front Desk of a 4-star business hotel, she managed to learn several languages and communicate with the international guests.  Her "thick skin" also landed her a Malaysian husband.


In contrast, my Filipina roommate's attitude was: "What's wrong with them?  Why can't they try to understand my Khmer?  I hate it when they laugh at me!  I can speak their language!"  8 years of living and working in Cambodia, and a stubborn refusal to learn the language. She ended up adopting a Cambodian baby boy and brought him home to the Philippines. The now-teenage boy remembers his home country but nothing of his language.


Asians tend to laugh when they're happy, embarrassed, fearful (sometimes), don't know what emotion to show ...  When a foreigner speaks my language, I laugh!  Not because I think he's funny, but because it's completely unexpected.  No offense intended.  The laughter didn't bother me one bit.  I just rattled on, correct or not.  I can speak the language - hard work and thick skin. Many thanks to all my "teachers' along the way - students, colleagues, teachers, market folks, taxi drivers, ... 


I still do the same with learning Indonesian.  I just rattle on, and lots of people correct me along the way.  They've stopped laughing, knowing that I want to learn.  Anyone and everyone can be my teacher, if I will allow them to teach me.  Thank you.  I am learning every day.

Have fun learning a language!

Fun Language Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment