Wednesday 22 August 2012

You have to reach out

Well, we arrived in Singapore from Sydney, Australia uncertain, and a bit afraid on the 16th of feb with two little girls. We arrived that night and my husband had to leave the next morning for work, which meant him being away overseas for a couple of days, so I was pretty nervous about that. I was nervous because i didnt know how to get around, what to eat, what the people were like etc. I was quite surprised! I just relaxed and just walked around the area with the girls. I soon found out that people were really friendly, the heat wasn't as bad as I thought, and I enjoyed the cheap food!

For the first three weeks I would have to say that nearly every afternoon I felt dizzy, light headed, and just plain strange. I guess even a 7 and a half hour trip can give you jet lag!
The thing I found absolutely fantastic in Singapore was the taxi drivers. They are so full of helpful information, and I have gained a lot of knowledge from them!

I am the type of person to want to mix with the locals and not get stuck in an expat group! I believe it is a good thing to be able mix with both expat and local people.
A smile can go a long way! Everyday I smile at most people, and most people smile back. I find personally Singaporeans are a very friendly people to those who reach out to them....
They are culturally not as outwardly affectionate as our culture, but they are quick to respond in a positive way. Sometimes it takes you to make the first step in friendships, but it is worth it! The taxi drivers are very friendly, and just that really helps too!

I did find that for the first month and a bit I had one day at the end of every week where I would just cry and feel really down, but I guess it was just an adjusting time......allow for that. Some it takes longer, but because I found great friends in neighbors and a fantastic church which just took me in and made me feel like family I adjusted a lot quicker.
You have to make an effort! You have to reach out to people, because remember every culture is different and the way others are brought up may not be the same as your upbringing. So, be understanding,  take every day slowly, and be ready to get out of your comfort zone!

Liz Stuart is an Australian who has lived in Singapore since 16 Feb 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment