Tuesday 4 September 2012

Culture of new communication

"Tonight, I need all of you to sleep early and get good rest.  We need all our energy for tomorrow.  No computer or Blackberry.  No chatting till late at night. Ok?"  My team of young people all nodded in agreement.  Then Andy spoke up, "But if we don't use computer or Blackberry, then what do we use to chat?"

"Your mouth!  The old fashioned way!"  I replied.  Everybody burst out in laughter.

Thanks to technology and social media, words have taken on a whole new meaning.  To "chat" with someone no longer means face-to-face conversation or talking on the phone.  I now "chat" using the keyboard of my desktop, laptop, iPad or smartphone, without even opening my mouth.  I'm not dumb or mute or lost my voice, it's just the way we "talk" nowadays.

Skype was created so we could talk face-to-face across the miles via the internet, and for free. Today, 99% of my Skype communication is by typing messages on the screen and getting a reply in the same way.  The only advantage I can see is that I can still keep in touch with people who have limited or slow connectivity where they live.  Technology has its pros and cons, I guess.

Do we really know how to chat face to face anymore?  I do!  I will not trade that for anything else in the world.  Talking face to face allows for human emotions and touch, which technology cannot replace.  Meeting up with friends for a drink or a meal is priceless.  A warm hug or firm handshake communicates volumes of love to another person.  We were made for closeness, not distance.  "Can you feel the love tonight?" makes no sense if you are not together.

So, go out and love someone today.  Give a hug, shake a hand, meet a friend face to face for a good old fashioned chat.  It's the same in every culture - people love and want to be loved.  Touch somebody today!

Wishing you a loving week!


No comments:

Post a Comment