Friday 5 October 2012

A Singaporean responds


Sometime ago, I wrote about Indian expatriates in Singapore needing time to adapt to life here (It takes time to adapt).

This morning, a Singaporean Indian responded to the remarks by the Indian Foreign Minister.  He said that foreigners of any nationality (not just Indians) integrate very well when they take part in community and neighbourhood activities.  What was more important was that Singaporeans took steps to welcome these new immigrants to the neighbourhood and community.

It takes two to clap, or so they say.  Isn't it true?  As a newly arrived immigrant to a foreign land, I can do my level best to reach out to my local neighbours by trying to be friendly and getting to know them.  But if my neighbours choose to be xenophobic and avoid me, what can I do?  I can keep trying, and hopefully, sooner than later, the ice will be broken and we become friends for life.  But I can't predict that outcome, much as I would like.

My friend Liz Stuart in her guest post on my blog said that you have to reach out.  Don't expect others to make the first move (You have to reach out).  Liz was blessed to have local Singaporeans welcome her and her family with wide open arms.  She literally threw herself fully into local life and is having a wonderful time in Singapore.  Bear in mind, Liz has only been here for less than a year.  Success story!  Both sides responded with great enthusiasm.

It does take time to adapt.  But whether we're the newly arrived foreigner, or the local resident, let's reach out and welcome each other with open arms into our homes and our lives.  We will be so much richer for the experience.

Happy reaching out!
Fun Language Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment